Monday, March 28, 2011

Weekend trip...

I spent this weekend visiting my lovely grandparents in St. Louis. I love going to visit and staying up until way past my bedtime talking to my Papa Ed. He has had such an interesting life and has such a huge impact on mine. His love for my Grandma Dolly is out of this world. She has Alzheimer's disease and for the past 10+ years he has been by her side protecting her and providing for her while she has slowly begun to slip away. Alzheimer's is one of the most terrible diseases and I don't wish for anyone to have to go through it with a loved one. My grandma is in the final stages...she hasn't known who we are for several years and although we still believe she has her cognitive moments; for the most part they are gone. It is so hard on my Papa Ed, they have been together for over 60 years and even though Dolly has been in a home for almost 4 years now he still is sadden by the loneliness in his home. He goes to see her almost everyday and sits with her for hours. Kris and I were married on their 60th wedding anniversary, July 10, 2010...can you believe a marriage can last that long? You can imagine why you would be lost with out the person you've been with for 60 years of your life. It breaks my heart and I wish there was something I could do to fill that void but there isn't and there never will be.

My Mom and I visited from Thur-Sun and it was never above 40 degrees AND it snowed over 5 inches 2 of those days. I took a few pics to show you...




I NEVER leave St. Louis with out having these things:

IMO's Pizza- It's HEAVEN in a box! They only have IMO's in Missouri it's delicious!

Lions Choice roast beef sandwhiches and Maulls BBQ (these are Kris' favs too so I had to bring him some home):

This is a new one, but we have ordered from Potnar's Fish and grill the last 2 times we have visited and I think it has become a new staple. It's a whole in the wall place that serves a HUGE serving of catfish and a bunch of other yummy goodness. Since it's lent we made this our Friday meal! (no pics sorry)

1 comment:

  1. Very touching story about your grandparents. They are so blessed to have each other (and I'm sure you & Kris will be there for each other in 60 years too!)

    ReplyDelete