Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Being healthy...

Lately we have been working on making our bodies healthier by adding better foods to our diet and exercising as much as possible. No real schedule to this, just do more than we have been and do it better!
Is there a reason for this?? Yes...there is! Kris has been dealt the genes of having to deal with high cholesterol (thanks FIL) and he has to take cholesterol meds now because of it. In order for him to come off these meds, he has to lose some weight and eat a MUCH better diet. When we were dating I used to cook for Kris and his friends a lot and it was never exactly healthy meals...in fact they were probably some of the worst meals you can think of. For example some of these things were fried chicken, hamburger helper, enchiladas, chocolate cake, cookies...just to name a few. We ate out A LOT and probably drank more than we should have. Those were pre-engagement days, so once we sealed the deal things began to change. I no longer needed to feed him to get my way into his heart...I had that one taken care of, so we started to slowly watch what we ate. Now that we have a real health reason to eat better it is a lot easier than before, so I have the challenge of finding healthy/extremely flavorful/GOOD meals for my husband. He is not necessarily picky, so that makes it a little easier and I will eat pretty much anything. I thought I'd share some of our favorite recipe finds lately starting with this one:

Turkey and Yam Spicy Tacos Recipe
 This was unbelievably good...we were a little skeptical at first of the pairing, but it was a great combo of sweet and spicy. We love spicy, but 4 jalapenos would have been WAY too spicy for even us, so we only used 2. One thing we cut out is flour tortillas and used green onion whole wheat tortillas from Market Street, but you can use wheat, corn, or really any kind you like. The fresh cilantro and tomatillo salsa was key, so don't leave these out; we have fresh herbs in our back yard so I try and use them whenever I can!

 

1 comment:

  1. Well, Kim & I are eating better (& it helps that she cooks some delicious AND healthy meals). But our exercising has been on & off. Seems either we have back problems, or we're not feeling well, etc, etc. Then again, maybe if we had been better at exercising earlier on in life our health would be better. Oh well, live & learn.

    ReplyDelete